The BIOLAB Research Institute was founded on July 1, 1993.
The main emphasis of our activities is advising on marine environmental protection,
- in the Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs),
- on the high seas,
- in coastal waters and
- in coastal zone management (CZM) in the national and international realm.
Since 1993 we have been and are active
- in advising and cooperating with the buildup of interdisciplinary working groups for deep-sea environmental protection in China , Japan , India and Korea.
- as consultants to the International Seabed Authority in Jamaica on the topic of deep-sea environmental protection.
- with the buildup of a CZM working group on the Baltic Sea coast of Schleswig-Holstein from Kiel to Hohwacht ( Bay of Kiel ).
- in the development of concepts for Coastal Experience Paths and Information Centers to bring a soft eco-tourism industry into reality.
- as a member of the work group „Coastal Zone Management“ of the K.E.R.N. region in Schleswig-Holstein.
- in environmental testing and research, and the associated discussions, preparation of reports, as well as the organization, coordination and guidance of working groups.
- from 1996 to 1998, in the annual conduct of courses on marine environmental protection at the University of Hamburg , and
- from 1999 through the present, as a member of the ARGE IMU (Integrated Marine Environmental Protection) in carrying out development courses on CZM for young decision makers from developing countries under contract with the Carl Duisberg Society (Bremen) and its successor organization InWent.